about last night as a fan of Washington-area sports teams, if you were so inclined. The only thing missing was the girlfriend walking out, saying how like your truck, you are too old and broken down for her anymore.
As it was, the following was plenty enough:
- Despite one of Edwin Jackson’s best efforts on the mound all season, the Nationals were shut out 2-0 by the Bernie Madoff Mets.
- Edwin and the Nats were done in by the .219 hitting Ike Davis, who launched a two-run home run in the top of the seventh to supply all the runs the Madoff Mets would need. Sure, Davis has been playing better since the All-Star break, but still, a real kick in the teeth.
- The atrocious Mets bullpen, headlined by Frank Francisco, he of the 6.06! ERA and 1.78! WHIP, actually locked down Jonathon Nieses’s shutout. I guess that’s why they are the Amazin’ Mets!
- The Washington Redskins lost more than just the second game of the preseason to the Chicago Bears, also losing starting linebacker and pass rushing extraordinaire Brian Orakpo and starting safety Brandon Meriweather to injuries. This is when I pause for six hours to pray at my private Redskins good karma altar.
- And come to think of it, the Redskins defense looked like an old and broken down truck which Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall walked out and over on.
Game ball(s): Niese. Credit where credit is due. The Nationals had precious few opportunities to plate runs last night and when they did, Niese flipped on the dominant switch.
Goat(s): Whoever in the Redskins front office or on their coaching staff that thought Cedric Griffin could still cover. Brandon Marshall was probably having warm flashbacks to his final days in Denver, when he last had so much fun working someone over.
Bryce Harper is still only 19: Jackson. I feel like I’ve said this a number of times about Edwin this season, but he deserved a better fate than for a L to be hung around his neck.
Current Record: 74-46